Does the current IPS framework contain the basic tools needed for a video coaching tool?

Does the current IPS framework contain the basic tools needed for a video coaching tool? Thinking about the existing code behind the ticketing system (  to be removed in v5 ), Downloads, gallery, commerce, and other components.

Rough draft of Idea:

User pays for a video coaching lesson via the Commerce component.

User uploads video file from phone using “downloads” component. File is private between user and coach or administrator.

Is there an option for an uploaded file to be private between user and admin or private between user and a specific second user ( coach )? Can this file be associated with a payment?

(Perfect world) video file would be automatically embedded in a local player – I am under the impression that this is currently not a simple task so the admin would have to manually move video to a non-public youtube account.

(Perfect world) the system creates a “ticket” that would be a private conversation between the user and the coach with the embedded video. Realistically admin could create a conversation (a PM?) with the video link and allow the coach and user to converse.

I do not think this needs to be complex or overly slick but from the user's or coaches perspective, it cannot be cumbersome or confusing.   

Ideas?

6 hours ago, John Horton said:

User uploads video file from phone using “downloads” component. File is private between user and coach or administrator.

I don't think this is possible. However, the user could upload the video to a private Gallery Album, and share that Album with only the administrator or anyone else of his choosing.

video file would be automatically embedded in a local player

My users upload videos to their gallery or to forum posts and they play right there just fine. I think a basic embedded media player is built into most browsers.

the admin would have to manually move video to a non-public youtube account.

I don't think this would be necessary. It will either play in browser or you could download it.

(Perfect world) the system creates a “ticket” that would be a private conversation between the user and the coach with the embedded video. Realistically admin could create a conversation (a PM?) with the video link and allow the coach and user to converse.

Creating a PM and linking to the video file is easy enough. The automated ticket can't happen out of the box. A Provider might be able to write a script to add this functionality.

Another alternative is to have a forum where the user can only see posts that he himself started. He (or an Admin/coach logged in as him) could start a Topic and paste the link to his video to get the conversation started.

So out of the box, Gallery could sorta be used for this situation. OR a forum could be used for this situation, with everything taking place in a thread that only the one user can see. I think the latter would be easier.

• Like 1

At a high level, you're asking for a private 1-to-1 system with video, correct? 

IPS as a software community is usually many-to-many or 1-to-many in most of its features whether it's blogs, courses, gallery albums, or more.  

If this were me, I think what I would do is utilize Closed Clubs.  You would basically create the club, preload with any instructional material, and invite your 1 student.  User and yourself can upload video as an attachment in the forums, and you could create one big master topic or many topics.  I wouldn't actually recommend Downloads, since there are multiple steps in uploading.  You also can't really make a file private between only the user and the admin.  

Just thinking creatively here. 

• Like 1

@dismalbliss

You have sent me down a couple of good rabbit holes and I appreciate it so much. I did not understand about the video player, forum posts that are only visible to the user-&- admin or that I could change settings to add videos to the gallery. You have given me a lot of good ideas. 

@JoelR

I have not looked at clubs yet but I will next. It is looking more and more like this idea is not rocket science. It is much simpler than what you have above.

Not including the payment component. The process is only => student uploads video file & then coach gives comment. That is it.

In my mind the hard parts or custom parts are Payment and generating each individual lesson space ( private gallery or message or forum post).

If the final result looked like the below image I would be thrilled.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person

Anyone in the IPS Providers list are trusted enough.  Their development skills are varying but they all understand the IPS framework well. 

With that said, I don't know if you actually need anything custom.  I would encourage you to use vanilla as much as possible.  There's nothing with what you've said that's especially special. 

- You set up a product in Commerce, configured to send you a notification. 

- Once you get the notification of the purchase, that's your trigger to set up the private album / club / whatever you want.  

This is all very doable out of the box.  

• Like 1