My concerns...

• Providers

Some of what I am posting here may annoy...

No.1 - a new "Marketplace"

On the Invision site, this place has been referred to a number of times as a "Marketplace" - it isn't. The individual developer's sites are the marketplaces - this needs to be corrected sooner rather than later as and when it gets discussed on the Invision site. It's a directory, and continuously referring to it as a "Markeplace" is, to my mind, not a good idea. As a user, having read how this potential place is being referred to, I am going to be pretty f***ed off when I get here to find I need to sign up to ABW.

No.2 - I'm a guest

This is what I see when I open this site:

Could contain: File, Person, Webpage

Yep...I'm (as a guest) in the dark about what the site is actually serving.

No.3 - I'm a developer...part 1

Why did this site start out as "Invision CMX" and is now "Invisioneer"? What exactly do they both mean? Why the change?

Is this a fledgling site, needing traffic to become something else? And that traffic is going to be coming from the announcement that is going to be made on the Invision site? Which leads to...

No.4 - I'm a developer...part 2

Purchases are being disabled on the Invision Marketplace on September 15th. When are you planning on announcing this site?

No.5 - I'm a developer...part 3

Are you running the blurb you post on here, and Invision, past those who are listing their items on here? I've not been involved in any discussions, and it would be helpful to understanding if it is your own (Joel) thoughts, or a collective. And if it is a collective, then include everyone.

As it stands right now, I don't feel quite clear or comfortable with this site - I'm erring on the side of "going it alone" more than I am fully joining in here.

• Like 1

• Providers
13 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Purchases are being disabled on the Invision Marketplace on September 15th. When are you planning on announcing this site?

I think this page should be announced as soon as possible and not wait until october or even 30.10., when the old MP is finally closed.

This would also give customers more time to prepare for the closure.

@Nathan Explosion Happy to discuss all of this 

1.  This is good feedback and one that I will help sharpen.

The full official name is "Third-Party Directory of Marketplace Files with no association to IPS, Inc."  If you can find a way to fit that into the menu, be my guest.  

2.  My original - and still my full - intention for this site is to provide a free community management discussion and resource site for Invision Community clients.  There is a gap in the market for a community that isn't the legacy forum-administration-forum-promotion website.  Hosting the Directory is entirely ancillary to that broader aim, but it also fits within the vision of simply helping out Invision Community clients (of which I am one!) with a broad array of community resources.  

3.  CMX = Community Management, which was (and still is) the original intent for my initiative.  Then I discovered that nobody knows what CMX means 🙂.  Invisioneer is honestly the first generic Invision sounding domain I could find on Namecheap after spending way too much time searching!    

4.  I'm targeting October for the broad announcement.  There still aren't many people listing their files on here, and I wanted to give as much time as possible to contributors to list their files.  From what I understand of contributors, you need to update your files, you need to list those files on your own sites, and you need to transfer over license keys. It's a lot to do.  I'm trying to give as much time as possible to you to do what you need to do. 

5.   Is there anything that I've posted which ... wasn't reasonable and well-intentioned?  There's no conspiracy here, there's no grand plan to secretly monetize you, there's no ulterior motive.  I literally enjoy talking about community management, and this is a passion project of mine to give back to the IPS community.  If you've followed me (and surely you have at some point over the last 10 years) over at IPS, you're well aware that I've been a champion of the third-party community and IPS gossip and IPS fandom for a long time.  

I'm not against involving "the collective."  I'm certainly open to any and all discussions, and you're welcome to dissect and debate me ad nauseum 🙂.  Critique the logo!  (One contributor already provided helpful advice that the site looked too corporate-y and IPS-y and ugly!😆)  But if I had to run every public post, and every public message, and every custom field on a file, and every terminology, welcome message, and decision regarding the Directory past fiercely independent and highly opinionated developers and get a unanimous sign-off, then none of us will get anywhere.  We have 2 months to provide a simple and clear message to clients.  There is a time for "the collective" nuanced discussion where we can discuss at our leisure and there is a time to swing a hammer -- this is the latter.    

I will definitely commit to doing better about telegraphing major messages around the group, but I want to emphasize that this is something that I do in my spare time.  For the benefit of the IPS community. For free.  All I ask is that you cut me some slack too.

• Like 1

• Providers
On 9/6/2023 at 5:34 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

Yep...I'm (as a guest) in the dark about what the site is actually serving.

I agree. It’s a bit messy all these blocks everywhere. If should go straight to the point. 

20 minutes ago, JoelR said:

I'm targeting October for the broad announcement.  There still aren't many people listing their files on here, and I wanted to give as much time as possible to contributors to list their files.  From what I understand of contributors, you need to update your files, you need to list those files on your own sites, and you need to transfer over license keys. It's a lot to do.  I'm trying to give as much time as possible to you to do what you need to do. 

This is something that you shouldn’t care about. If marketplace will close in one week, open here in one week with what it already has. Who wants and needs to sell, will find time to submit their stuff. It doesn’t make any sense this gap. 

• Like 2

• Providers
8 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

This is something that you shouldn’t care about. If marketplace will close in one week, open here in one week with what it already has. Who wants and needs to sell, will find time to submit their stuff. It doesn’t make any sense this gap. 

Exactly. It would certainly also reassure customers if they could see that something already exists, the people are working on it and that it will be good. Instead of hoping that there will be something there on day x and that it might be completely different and just bad for them.

In addition, there would then be immediate feedback from the customers, which could be implemented until the closure would be completed.