Remote Backups

Remote Backups  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have remote backups?

• Yes - another server by another company, in another country, and on another planet. Kidding about the planet.
    • No - I'm happy with regular backups on the same server.
    • What are backups? Do I need those?

Most communities do backups, but those can be stored on the same server.  This means if there's a hardware or firmware failure on the server, both the site and the backups are taken down.  

Remote backups are backups stored in a completely different server, usually with a different company and maybe even a different geographic location.  

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have automated backups that move the content off my server to another server in another location (usually another country), and with a different service provider.

E.g. most of my current hosted stuff is either with Kinsta (so, Google Cloud) or Cloudways (Digital Ocean) and these are a mixture of London, UK and Dublin, Ireland hosting (for reasons). They're all backed up to Amazon S3 buckets, but exactly what and where varies depending on the nature of the data and precisely which data boundaries are safe to cross, e.g. Ireland to London would likely be a bad time in the future.

• 2 months later...

I tend to have backups handled by my hosting company as well as ensuring I make regular backups myself on my own server so that I have access to them as well. 

I believe my hosting company has cloud servers that they keep the backups on which I feel is a safer option than what I use, makes me feel happier knowing I would have a backup no matter the issue.