Breaking the Ice: How Do You Get Internet Strangers to Open Up in Forums?

Navigating the world of online forums can sometimes feel like trying to start a conversation at a busy café – everyone's there, but how do you get them talking, especially the newcomers? Opening up and building relationships with total internet strangers can be a challenge. So, what’s your secret sauce? What open-ended questions do you use to break the ice and kickstart genuine conversations?

• Have you found certain types of questions that work like a charm in getting users to open up? Maybe something fun or thought-provoking, or even a general Chit Chat Zone?
  • How do you create a welcoming atmosphere that encourages users, especially new ones, to share their thoughts and experiences?
  • What strategies do you use to keep the conversation flowing once it starts? Do you jump in with your own stories, or do you prefer to steer the discussion by asking more questions?

BLG2011-YM-AMS-VirtualWelcome-Card.png

It’s all about turning those initial hellos into engaging conversations and, eventually, lasting forum friendships. Whether it’s a quirky, offbeat question or a thoughtful, reflective prompt, let’s share our go-to conversation starters. Drop your tips, tricks, and icebreaker questions here and let’s help each other turn strangers into chat buddies! 🌐💬🤝

• Like 1

People like to interact with topics they can identify or care about. You need to understand the interest of your audience to encourage them to open up. If you know what your audience is interested in or is passionate about, you can create discussions that your audience will be inspired to participate.

Over the years that I have been running forums myself, something I have found that helps to get people interacting and engaging is creating topics that are of interest to them or even topics that are the latest trends or maybe the latest news.

Members are more inclined to interact if there is something they can add to the discussion so posting topics relevant to their interests is a great help. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/18/2024 at 4:22 PM, Shortie said:

Over the years that I have been running forums myself, something I have found that helps to get people interacting and engaging is creating topics that are of interest to them or even topics that are the latest trends or maybe the latest news.

Members are more inclined to interact if there is something they can add to the discussion so posting topics relevant to their interests is a great help. 

Creating topics on trends and latest events can obviously encourage people to participate. For instance, recently Iranian President died in a helicopter crash, if you open a topic on this, you might have a lot of user participation. However, you must also be aware that if you open topics on current event, you will end up having stale content pretty soon