Can Perplexity AI Outshine Google and Bing in the Search Arena?

“In an era where misinformation and AI hallucinations are causing increasing concern, we’re built on the idea that accuracy and transparency are prerequisites to making AI-powered search ubiquitous. The times of sifting through SEO spam, sponsored links, and multiple web pages will be replaced by a much more efficient way to consume and share information, propelling our society into a new era of accelerated learning and research,” Aravind Srinivas, co-founder, and CEO of Perplexity, wrote in a blog post.

Perplexity AI integrates its search engine with popular AI models such as GPT-4 and Claude. This enables it to summarize responses for a more conversational flow and provides source citations in the form of articles and websites. Users can even ask follow-up questions if they want to dive deeper into any subject. 

A new player Perplexity AI, is stepping up to challenge the giants like Google and Microsoft Bing. Armed with an AI-native approach and impressive growth statistics – over 10 million monthly active users and a billion queries in 2023 – it's stirring up quite a conversation. But can this underdog truly revolutionize our search experience?

• What do you think gives Perplexity AI an edge over established giants like Google and Bing? Is it just about better AI integration, or is there more to the story?
  • In your experience, how important is AI in enhancing search engine capabilities, and can it be a game-changer in terms of user experience?
  • With the rapid growth of Perplexity AI, do you foresee a significant shift in how we approach online search and information gathering?

Could contain: Advertisement, Page, Text, Poster

This David vs. Goliath scenario isn’t just about competition; it’s a glimpse into the future of digital search and AI's evolving role in it. Let’s dive into this intriguing development and discuss what it means for us as users and community managers. Will we witness a seismic shift in the search engine landscape? Share your insights! 🌐💻🔍

https://www.perplexity.ai/

I have been using Perplexity AI for some time for topic research, especially when I want to research on the content I am working on. Let's say I want to do some research on a new game so that I can get ideas for the article. I go to Perplexity AI, it will not only answer my question but even provide follow up questions that I can look into. This makes this AI tool ideal for search. However, out of habit I frequently go to Google for online searches.

• Informative 1

Bing has Copilot and Google has Bard. In other words, Google and Bing both have Generative AI tools. Therefore, I believe Perplexity AI will have a hard time competing with Google and Bing. Perplexity is better than Bard or Copilot but I do not think Perplexity will be able to outperform Google and Bing for online searches.

• 4 months later...

Perplexity is Good but I really doubt that it will outshine Google and Bing. Actually Google has Gemini and Bing as Copilot, I doubt that Perplexity has any chance to outgrow these Generative AI tools.