Which social media platform have you had the best marketing success on?

Social media is great when it comes to marketing online communities and with so many out there that are popular, most will have their benefits. 

If you market on social media, which platform have you found you have had the best success on when it comes to marketing? Is there any one specific platform that seems to do better than others? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instagram is very helpful if you want to target a younger audience. Not that there is no grey hair group, but it really works well if you want to target certain groups.

Edited by Dilip

I actually haven't seen most forum owners be successful at social media outreach and marketing, likely because they don't have the time or expertise to invest in another platform.  

Invision Community's social media promotion was a good attempt at trying to help push content to social media with very little additional work by forum admins.  

• 2 weeks later...

Even though social media sites have not been very helpful to me in my journey as a community owner/manager, I have used multiple social sites for marketing and advertising other kinds of sites and businesses and Facebook has turned to be more beneficial than any other social sites.

I've found it difficult to pull people off social media.  They seem perfectly content on Facebook in FB groups or on IG or TT or Twitter/X.  They'll like the content I post on those platforms and follow my page/account, but it's not enough to draw them to join the site and forums and start posting there.

I have also run paid ads on those platforms to experiment on acquisition and see better analytics around the ad visibility and actions.  There are a very small percentage that will click the link to visit a website and a much smaller percentage of those who click that actually join. Could just be the niches I'm in, but the same people enjoy posting on the social media platforms.  Guessing they are simply comfortable there and have no interest in learning/posting on another platform.

12 hours ago, Clover13 said:

I've found it difficult to pull people off social media.  They seem perfectly content on Facebook in FB groups or on IG or TT or Twitter/X.  They'll like the content I post on those platforms and follow my page/account, but it's not enough to draw them to join the site and forums and start posting there.

I have also run paid ads on those platforms to experiment on acquisition and see better analytics around the ad visibility and actions.  There are a very small percentage that will click the link to visit a website and a much smaller percentage of those who click that actually join. Could just be the niches I'm in, but the same people enjoy posting on the social media platforms.  Guessing they are simply comfortable there and have no interest in learning/posting on another platform.

You can get people to like the posts you share, you can get people to leave comment, or sometimes even visit the link you share, however, it is really difficult to get people to sign up to your communities. Just like you said, social media users are too content on the sites they are using and they do not bother to join the sites advertised and promoted there.

• 2 months later...

As much as I have used social media to market my communities, it is not something I have seen any success from and have found focusing on content has given me better results. 

I don't believe it's that it does not work but more that I need to learn how to approach marketing on social media for it to be successful. 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:51 PM, Destiny said:

As much as I have used social media to market my communities, it is not something I have seen any success from and have found focusing on content has given me better results. 

I don't believe it's that it does not work but more that I need to learn how to approach marketing on social media for it to be successful. 

It does work if you promote the right thing to the right people in the right way, however, the most difficult thing is how to determine "the right thing, the right way, and the right people." Posting your community link on social site does not work, you cannot get link visit, let along sign up in your community. But of all social sites, probably Reddit can be a better platform for promotion

I rarely see anyone mentioning any huge amount of success when it comes to using social media to market their communities or businesses. 

Whilst I know it is possible, I feel the amount of success stories we see about social media marketing is far less than many would expect. 

I feel a lot of the reason why most do not have much success is because they are not promoting things right which then results in not hitting the right audience that would be interested in the content you are sharing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am more successful on Facebook than any other social sites. I have multiple pages on Facebook and some of these pages have over 10k followers. I use Facebook for promoting my products, services, as well as website, I manage to get decent traffic from Facebook. After Facebook, Twitter has worked best for me.