Social Media Communities

There are multiple options to build communities, you can build communities through software like Invision or Wordpress, or even social media sites. You can create Facebook Groups, Discord Servers, Whatsapp Group, etc.and build communities through social media platforms. One major drawbacks of social media communities is you do not own it, you are under the mercy of social media companies. Having said that it is easier to build communities on social media platforms compared to other community software.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a good content creator and if you have marketing skills, you can easily build communities on social media. However, building communities through community software (with your own domain and hosting) can be very hard.Even when you plan to monetize, social media commuities are easier for making money.

• Providers
2 hours ago, Maria said:

If you are a good content creator and if you have marketing skills, you can easily build communities on social media. 

Sure you can, but don't forget ...

On 2/1/2024 at 5:06 AM, Kane said:

One major drawbacks of social media communities is you do not own it, you are under the mercy of social media companies.

They can kick you whenever they want and you have no backups.

I have to agree that creating a community on social media means you do not own that and if anything were to happen to the social media platform, your community would be affected by that and there would be nothing you could do about it. 

I feel it is not impossible to build a community on something such as WordPress, IPS, Xenforo etc if you have the skills to market your community in the right way. 

I would never put all my eggs in one basket when it came to a community on social media though and would always have a place I own as a backup too. 

On 2/2/2024 at 1:18 AM, V0RT3X said:

I know this reason is brought up over and over again as one of the scary risks of social media communities, but ... How often does it actually happen? 

Are you building a community that contains illegal, dangerous, or treasonous content? You honestly have the risk of being shut down by ANY provider.  

On 2/2/2024 at 1:18 AM, V0RT3X said:

Sure you can, but don't forget ...

That's very true. The members you build on social media communities are borrowed members, you can lose them at any time, you can even lose your communities as you are in mercy of these social media giants. Having said that, if you have managed to build communities on social media, you can easily build traffic and sales.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:19 AM, Maria said:

If you are a good content creator and if you have marketing skills, you can easily build communities on social media. However, building communities through community software (with your own domain and hosting) can be very hard.Even when you plan to monetize, social media commuities are easier for making money.

True indeed, it is easier to create, manage and run social media communities. You can also easily monetize your social media community. However, don't you think it will be difficult to arrange your content as your old content gets buried deep under new content.  Social media communities might bot be good if you are a content curator.

• 2 months later...

Social media communities are great when done in collaboration with your main community. Facebook groups and even subreddits are quite popular social media sites to have communities on. 

I guess the only issue with having communities on social media is the amount of time you have to dedicate to these. 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:54 PM, Destiny said:

Social media communities are great when done in collaboration with your main community. Facebook groups and even subreddits are quite popular social media sites to have communities on. 

I guess the only issue with having communities on social media is the amount of time you have to dedicate to these. 

But don't you think you have a greater power with social media communities compared to your own communities. I mean if you have managed to build 10-20 thousand followers, you can easily sell what you want to sell. Also, you might easily build 10-20 k followers on social media but building even 100-200 users on your community is a daunting task.