What is your goal?

In my opinion, the primary aim of a community is to provide a space for meaningful discussion. Communities are also the platform to ask questions and answer questions. Community's goal is the foster communication.  If you lose this motto and focus only on traffic, users and activities, you are are not in the right track. When you started your community, what was your primary goal? Have you been able to get there?

My goal is to create an audience. If I have audience, promoting and selling becomes easy. By running a community, I hope to build audience. I hope to provide a platform where people will learn and share.

On 3/10/2024 at 6:44 AM, Kane said:

In my opinion, the primary aim of a community is to provide a space for meaningful discussion. Communities are also the platform to ask questions and answer questions. Community's goal is the foster communication.  If you lose this motto and focus only on traffic, users and activities, you are are not in the right track. When you started your community, what was your primary goal? Have you been able to get there?

Forums that only focus on conversation won't survive.  Forums that focus on meaningful conversation can survive. 

I'm more convinced than ever that forums as a social tool are gone, and that you need to provide success - answering questions, providing solutions, providing resources

• Like 2

If communities try to work in the way Reddit or Quora are working, I believe community can survive. Communities should offer a platform where people come to get help or provide help voluntarily. This helping people should be the primary goal of community.

I will be frank, when I started my first community, I only cared about making money. I spent some money to hire paid posters for regular activities. I hired writers for SEO articles. I monetized my site with Adsense. Then I sold the site. I then created second site for the same purpose but I could not sell it. I am now trying to build my communities as a resource sute for finding information.

• 2 weeks later...

When I create a community, I always aim to create a place where people can feel comfortable discussing and sharing opinions and information without issue or feeling out of place. 

I feel if you have an interest in something you should be able to share your interests and help others too if you wish to without feeling like you do not belong. My aim when I build a community is to build an atmosphere that is friendly and helps everyone feel like they are included. 

10 hours ago, Shortie said:

When I create a community, I always aim to create a place where people can feel comfortable discussing and sharing opinions and information without issue or feeling out of place. 

I feel if you have an interest in something you should be able to share your interests and help others too if you wish to without feeling like you do not belong. My aim when I build a community is to build an atmosphere that is friendly and helps everyone feel like they are included. 

You cannot have "everyone" on your community, right? I mean you can only have those who are interested in your niche. If your community is niche focused, it will be someone easier to bring like minded people and have a healthy discussion. Community can also build serious discussions if you have genuine users.

• 5 weeks later...

My goal as a community leader is to provide a place where those who have an interest in my niche can either gain help or support or even share their knowledge or expertise with others. 

Many people tend to enjoy offering their opinions and expertise and offering a community with the ability to do that is often popular. 

Having goals is always important, going into a community project with goals in mind is a great start and something many community leaders should consider. 

I frequent forums looking for advice and support mostly and so that is what I like to provide within my community too. 

My goal is to make it easy for those looking for help or support to find it with ease. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2024 at 12:04 AM, Toni said:

Having goals is always important, going into a community project with goals in mind is a great start and something many community leaders should consider. 

I frequent forums looking for advice and support mostly and so that is what I like to provide within my community too. 

My goal is to make it easy for those looking for help or support to find it with ease. 

Visiting other forums can also help you realize your goal. Even when you already have a goal visiting other forums and engaging in discussion will provide you with knowledge and information on how to reach your goals. As a community owner, you should not only have a goal but also have a clear vision on how to reach your goal.