Do you browse communities through mobile devices?

Something I like to do when I am not at home on my laptop is browse communities through my mobile device. I enjoy being able to keep in contact and keep tabs on things even when I am out and about. 

Do you browse communities through your mobile device? 

• 2 weeks later...

No, I do not use mobile devices to browse communities. I log into communities only through a computer. However, I use mobile devices to visit social sites. My primary purpose of joining communities is for interaction and I find difficult to type with thumbs.

• Like 1

I sometimes use mobile devices to check communities, especially to check the notifications and latest activities, however, as far as posting on communities through mobile devices is concerned, I do not do it frequently.

• Like 1

I use both often.  Mobile is the wave if you want to grow a community, which is why it's so important to be a mobile first "site".  Hoping IC5 makes strides towards this.  Fewer and fewer people are using desktops as time moves forward.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:55 AM, Maria said:

No, I do not use mobile devices to browse communities. I log into communities only through a computer. However, I use mobile devices to visit social sites. My primary purpose of joining communities is for interaction and I find difficult to type with thumbs.

This is understandable. I feel some people find it easy to interact and type on a mobile device whereas others tend to be a little more worried about doing so and instead would rather only interact on a computer. 

I tend to use my mobile device more to check messages, and alerts and to also just browse. As much as I do sometimes interact I don't do it too often as I worry that my writing will be sloppy doing it through a mobile device. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shortie said:

This is understandable. I feel some people find it easy to interact and type on a mobile device whereas others tend to be a little more worried about doing so and instead would rather only interact on a computer. 

I tend to use my mobile device more to check messages, and alerts and to also just browse. As much as I do sometimes interact I don't do it too often as I worry that my writing will be sloppy doing it through a mobile device. 

One of the major problems with using mobile devices to interact on communities is related to navigating different boards , categories and topics. Working on multiple tabs on a mobile phone is really difficult, at least for me.

14 hours ago, Maria said:

One of the major problems with using mobile devices to interact on communities is related to navigating different boards , categories and topics. Working on multiple tabs on a mobile phone is really difficult, at least for me.

I differentiate between "focused browsing" versus "freeform browsing". 

Focused browsing: you have a set of tasks that you need to consistently complete, maybe every day or every week, you're trying to be efficient, you know what areas of the site you need to browse.  This makes sense to do on desktop to be as efficient as possible. 

Freeform browsing: no particular goal, you view one topic at a time and read or reply at your leisure. This makes sense to do on mobile.  

As admins or staff members, we are usually "focused browsing." But we need to constantly remind ourselves that our users, who are much more casual, are "freeform browsing." 

• Like 1

• Providers

I’m using my phone probably all the time when visiting a community I’m interested in.

My computer is only used for my work because it’s easier with multiple monitors and because some stuff can only be done from a proper machine, that said, iPad Pro is also an amazing development & testing machine) 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:38 AM, JoelR said:

I differentiate between "focused browsing" versus "freeform browsing". 

Focused browsing: you have a set of tasks that you need to consistently complete, maybe every day or every week, you're trying to be efficient, you know what areas of the site you need to browse.  This makes sense to do on desktop to be as efficient as possible. 

Freeform browsing: no particular goal, you view one topic at a time and read or reply at your leisure. This makes sense to do on mobile.  

As admins or staff members, we are usually "focused browsing." But we need to constantly remind ourselves that our users, who are much more casual, are "freeform browsing." 

I totally agree. People do not visit social media only to share posts, they also visit to browse with on any particular tasks in mind. And I believe same goes with forums as well. If you are visiting online communities and just want to see what's going on, mobile devices might be more appropriate.

• 2 months later...

I do tend to browse communities through my mobile device from time to time but they are usually support forums that I use in which I frequent to get help and advice I need. 

I wouldn't say that I am active on the forums I frequent through my mobile device as I don't find it too easy to type on my phone. 

I have visited communities on a mobile device when I have been looking for support or even solutions to issues I have had in the past, but engaging within an online forum is not something I tend to do on my mobile device.