YouTube’s Advice for Shorts Creators, including Algorithm

JoelR

Looking to get into YouTube Shorts and build a Shorts presence for yourself or your brand?

You should probably consider it. Shorts is the fastest-growing content type on YouTube, and is now driving over 50 billion daily views in the app. Built in the mold of TikTok, Shorts leans into the growing trend towards more succinct, attention-grabbing clips, and it could be a valuable pathway towards increased brand awareness and perception.

If you can create good Shorts content.

This will help. Today, YouTube has published a new interview with Shorts Product Lead Todd Sherman, in which Sherman answers some of the most common questions about Shorts, including how they’re using hashtags, how often you should post, the Shorts algorithm, and what’s coming next.

There are some interesting notes. Below are some of the key highlights.

On the Shorts algorithm

YouTube advises that creators should “think audience, not algorithm” within their creative process.

Sherman says that the Shorts algorithm is different to the regular YouTube feed, because it’s an entirely different format, with different consumption behaviors.

“For example, on long form, a lot of the times people are choosing which video by tapping on it on their phone, or clicking on it on the web, and that choice is something that drives a lot of engagement. On short form, people are swiping through a feed, and discovering things as they go. That’s one important difference.”

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/youtube-advice-for-shorts-creators-hashtags-algorithm/691835/

• 2 months later...

YouTube shorts are something I have gotten into somewhat over the last year and more so over the last month or so. 

In the beginning, I was only sometimes getting hits on my shorts that I posted to the platform but now I am seeing an increase in how many see my shorts now. If you are looking to grow on YouTube and you are someone who enjoys making short content, YouTube shorts is the way to go. 

This is an amazing interview with a lot of good information for those looking to start on YouTube shorts. 

On 11/17/2023 at 5:21 PM, Shortie said:

YouTube shorts are something I have gotten into somewhat over the last year and more so over the last month or so. 

In the beginning, I was only sometimes getting hits on my shorts that I posted to the platform but now I am seeing an increase in how many see my shorts now. If you are looking to grow on YouTube and you are someone who enjoys making short content, YouTube shorts is the way to go. 

This is an amazing interview with a lot of good information for those looking to start on YouTube shorts. 

It's awesome to hear that you're already experimenting with YouTube shorts.  

What kind of content do you create? Do you film yourself, or you put together clips? 

One of my intermediate goals is to create multi-modal pieces of content (eg. A discussion on Invisioneer, a short form video for TikTok, a photo for Instagram, etc).  This is an area where I think forum owners can collectively get better at.  We tend to only focus on our own communities, instead of the concept of Community Everywhere.  

• Like 1

I have used multiple video-sharing sites to publish my short-form content, including Youtube Shorts. One of the common mistakes I see people making is cross-posting. They are reposting content from one site to another. For instance, they are republishing tiktoks on youtube shorts, or repopsting youtube shorts as reels. You need to first understand the platform where you are publishing your short videos and create videos specifically for that particular site.

• 5 months later...
On 11/18/2023 at 10:49 PM, JoelR said:

It's awesome to hear that you're already experimenting with YouTube shorts.  

What kind of content do you create? Do you film yourself, or you put together clips? 

One of my intermediate goals is to create multi-modal pieces of content (eg. A discussion on Invisioneer, a short form video for TikTok, a photo for Instagram, etc).  This is an area where I think forum owners can collectively get better at.  We tend to only focus on our own communities, instead of the concept of Community Everywhere.  

I have been creating short-form content such as clips from video games and clips that have been captured from my live streams on places such as Twitch. 

I have found posting short-form content to YouTube and longer videos too can help greatly with exposure. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:52 AM, Shortie said:

I have been creating short-form content such as clips from video games and clips that have been captured from my live streams on places such as Twitch. 

I have found posting short-form content to YouTube and longer videos too can help greatly with exposure. 

While earning from short form video content might be very difficult getting exposure is certainly better with short videos. You just need one viral video to make it big. By the way, I find short videos to be a good way to generate affiliate sales.