How do you define spam?

I was once very active on a paid to post forum. The Forum allowed you to make as much as $1 per day through forum posting. However, to make that amount you had to make a lot of posts. Since I had not other jobs, I was very active and was creating a lot of posts every day. Then one day, the forum awarded me a badge "spammer". Do you think someone who posts a lot is a spammer even when the person does quality posting? How do you define spam in a community.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does anyone post a lot of content in a site? Do you think someone could make really good content back to back? Posting a lot of content in a short time is certainly a spam. This indicate that the poster does not read the topic properly before posting. This is the reason why a lot of forums set timer before creating another post.

They do that. It is normal to be framed as a spammer when you ask too many questions for which you are not expecting an answer.

A forum is mainly a QA platform. So anything that is not within that limits is spam.

I Do not post a lot of content back to back in any community. It is only on the community where there is paid posting I post a lot of content for earning credits. But I always make sure my questions are on niche and answers are on topics.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:01 PM, Nomad said:

I Do not post a lot of content back to back in any community. It is only on the community where there is paid posting I post a lot of content for earning credits. But I always make sure my questions are on niche and answers are on topics.

One of the major problems with forums that pay for posting is they have users who only post for credits. Most of these users rarely care about quality posting and genuine discussion. If you make 40-50 posts in a single day, or let's say in an hour or two, how can you say, you have posted quality content?

On 3/10/2024 at 5:19 PM, Kane said:

One of the major problems with forums that pay for posting is they have users who only post for credits. Most of these users rarely care about quality posting and genuine discussion. If you make 40-50 posts in a single day, or let's say in an hour or two, how can you say, you have posted quality content?

I cannot speak for others, however, based on my personal experience I can say it does not take a lot of time to create a forum post. You are not required to be an expert to post answers, you can post your opinion and posting your opinion does not take a lot of time. I kind of agree that most people who post on forums only care about money, but I am not that kind of person. I post quality content so that I can contribute to real discussion and also attract née clients for posting jobs

Yeah, forum posting does not take time, but I believe forum posts are not just about your opinion on the topic question, forum posts are also interactions with user submitted posts. I do not think going on a posting spree is going to help the forum. But I also know a lot of forum owners are also looking for a lot of posts, so they hire paid posters and when you are a paid poster, you are likely to create a lot of posts in a short time.

I would not class spam as being someone who posts a lot of content within a short space of time if their content is high-quality and helps with discussion and engagement. 

Spam to me is those who come onto a forum and purposely spam their website or links without any context at all within their messages. 

• 1 month later...

Someone who posts a lot within a community or forum is not what I would call a spammer unless the posts they made were pointless and purposely spammy to gain that post count and even that little bit of money they were being paid for the content. 

Spam to me is when you see someone posting a lot of pointless content throughout a forum and in some cases, that also contains links.